Friday, October 30, 2009

Shine Brightly...High Hopes Challenge #50

Hello and happy Friday! I hope your week has been a good one. My daughter was able to go back to school today. I had kept her home for two days to monitor her. She has had no fever, so I'm pretty sure she just has a lousy cold. Half the city seems to be coughing and sniffly...and no, not every cough or sneeze is the H1N1 virus people! My goodness, people are just in a panic! That being said, let's all be sensible and carry hand sanitizer...and if you are sick, please don't share!

Ok...enough babbling, and on to my card!

The challenge over at High Hopes this week is "All About Kids". I love this stamp. I have never actually caught fireflies before. I did see a ton of them at camp this past summer. They are so beautiful. I stamped the image on Neenah, and used my trusty Copics to colour her in. I added some Glossy Accents on the jar to make it look like real glass. You know, I realized that I don't often put flowers on my cards!! I have a stash of them, so I'll have to make sure to pull them out more often. I used colours which I figure every little girl loves! This pretty double sided design paper is from Kaiser Craft. The cardstock is a mix of Coordinations and Stampin Up.


I thought I'd pull out my sewing machine and add some stitching. I really love this look. I kind of cheated and hand wrote the sentiment. I cut it out as a banner, and pop dotted the middle of it for some added dimension.
Here's the closeup ( I think you can actually see the Glossy Accents on this!!):

Kids are awesome! I am one of the Sunday school teachers at our church, and let me tell you...our kids bless us on a weekly basis! We love to encourage them to "shine brightly"! God made each and every one special (that goes for us big kids too!)...and He wants us to shine for Him! That's what I had in mind while I was making this card. I love how cardmaking gives you time to reflect on the person (or the reason) you are making the card for. Who doesn't love to receive a card that let's them know they are loved and appreciated!
Hope you have a fabulous Friday night...and be safe tomorrow if you are out trick or treating!
Blessings,
Melanie

7 comments:

Maria said...

Melanie, I love this card and the wonderful DP and embellies you've. Your colouring is amaaaaazing! Hugs, Maria

My Paper Passions said...

awww...so cute
man you pop out these cards like a winning slot machine....they just keep coming!!!:)
so thats why the sewing machine was out the other night....a very nice touch and I like the dimension of the banner looking like its waving!
sweet!!
rock on!
Amanda xoxo

Sally Cicada Designs said...

Really great card Melanie--nice layout, stitching, colour combo and your colouring is fabulous!!
Blessings,
Sarah

Kristine said...

Hi Melanie!

Your coloring is so AMAZING! I'm so glad that peeps as talented as you BLOG so I can be inspired and LEARN how to do it! LOL =) LOVE this cute image and the shiny accents! Your color combo rocks on this too.

I agree about the coughing thing. I just got over a really bad cold or possible flu, but not the H1N1. My niece works in a hospital and she ended getting that so I know what to look for and I didn't have it. But whatever I had sure knocked me down for several days. Luckily (knock on wood) my kids haven't gotten it and my DD was able to celebrate her birthday with her slumber party last night--YAY! :)

Have a wonderful weekend! x

Jeanette said...

Oh my gosh Melanie! Your coloring is really exceptional. The shading is wonderful. A really beautiful card with such a wonderful sentiment!
Thanks for joining in at the HH Challenge this week!
Hugs Jeanette :)

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Oh my word Melanie.. you colouring is awesome! Love the colours you chose and flower centers, Have a wonderful Sunday, Hugs, Nikki x

Lacey Stephens said...

Sorry I didn't get to comment earlier...I love your card! The layout and image are perfect for this challenge. And your coloring is just GORGEOUS!! The shading is perfect!! Thanks for playing along with the High Hopes Challenge! I hope you are able to play again this week...the challenge is "Snowflakes"!!
~Lacey
PS I have a daughter named Ansley!! (Pronounced "Ann" in the begining)