Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mermaid Mixed Media Canvas...a KKS Skrappy Challenge!

Time for another Skrappy Challenge with Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps!!

For many stampers, our comfort zone is creating cards...I definitely fit in that category!! Our Skrappy challenges are designed to get you thinking outside that box...they are a chance to show the versatility of our Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps!

For this challenge, you can create and submit any project, as long as it's NOT a card!!! There are so many possibilities...calendar pages, bookmarks, pocket pages, traditional scrap pages, holiday gifts, planner pages, tags...the possibilities are endless! You have an entire month to play along and you can play as many times as you like! Here are the rules: 

1. The theme is Anything Goes...the only restriction is NO CARDS!
2. Your submission must be NEW...created on or after this post date...submit at the KKS challenge blog
3. You must use a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamp to be eligible for the prize drawing
4. You have a month to play, enter as many times as you'd like! The deadline is Monday, March 20th at 12:00 EST.
5. PRIZE: Once we've reached at least 5 entries, we will draw a random winner at the close of the challenge.
6. Be sure to share your creations on our Krafty Friends FB page!

I decided to pull out a canvas and acrylic paints to create a mixed media piece. I used Treena Twinkles (this is the image I coloured  with Copics during my first Live video on the KKS FB page). The canvas was prepped by adhering torn dictionary pages with Mod Podge. I ended up applying the paint a bit heavier than intially intended, so the only spot you can really see the text peeking through is the upper right hand corner. Most of the paint used on this project was Liquitex Basics. After painting the "water," a damask pattern was added using a stencil. To create an environment for Treena, I painted some coral and rocks on the ocean floor. I actually underestimated the size of the stamp and basically wasted time painting details on some coral and the big rock in the middle. Definitely should have mapped that out better! However, it gave me a chance to practice with acrylics...it's been a very long time since I painted! Treena was adhered to the canvas with Mod Podge. The seashells are from the dollar store. To balance off the content-heavy base of the canvas, I added a chipboard flourish from Make it Crafty (painted with the same acrylic paints) to the top. Pearls, a starfish charm and a few touches of gold paint finished it off. 



Here's a shot of the canvas before I added Treena and the embellishments. Some of the details in the painted elements were clearer in this picture. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this process...I look forward to experimenting with more canvases in the future! 


Hope you plan to play along! 

Thanks for visiting...blessings!

Melanie

2 comments:

chrilvian said...

beauty

Delphine said...

I LOVE this SO MUCH!!! This is breathtaking!!! Love it!! Big hugs Delphine xx