Monday, March 26, 2012

Bitty Boxes

Good morning and happy Monday to all!! After a short vacation, the carts at SCACD are back open for business, and Susana has of course been busy adding more fantastic new goodies to the shelves. :)  Here's just a little taste of what's new:

During our little break, the SCACD design team has been busy in their crafty spaces creating with some of the great products Susana carries. I know that many of the talented ladies have a little something to share today, so make sure to pop by the SCACD store blog where you can find links to all the DT members' blogs

I decided to venture outside my comfort zone and make something other than a card. Susana carries these fantastic little Bitty Boxes that are wonderful for altering in a variety of different ways. I also took this opportunity to experiment with some the new Luminarte products that Susana recently began stocking. I have to say that I love them! If you are not familiar with these products, you can check out some great videos by Marti Wills at the SCACD store HERE.

Two of my Bitty Boxes were inspired by Cameo jewelry. For the first one, I covered the box in some Picadilly paper. (you can see the paper in the picture below of all three boxes) The edges were all inked in brown. I then stamped just the head of Loli's Dance in Memento Ink and coloured her with my Copics. I used circle Spellbinders to cut her out and for matting. After adhering her to the lid of the box, I surrounded her with some pearls made with my Viva Decor Pearl Pen in Ice White.


For Bitty Box #2, I layered some Luminarte Silks in Guatemalan Green, Honey Amber and Coral Berry. No fancy method of application here...I just used a paint brush to blot them on and then used my finger to pat and blend. Yes, that's right...I finger painted! lol  For the "cameo" on this box, I stamped Dances With Dragonflies and coloured the skin, hair and dress with Copics. The fairy's wings and the dragonfly's wings were painted with Luminarte Micas. I added a bit of gum arabic and water to the mica powder and then applied them with a paintbrush. I used Pink Azalea, Teal Zircon, and Blue Flame. For the background, I laid down a base coat of E41 and E43 Copic markers. This was then covered with coats of Honey Amber and Coral Berry Luminarte Silks. I matted the image on a Maya Road chipboard snowflake that was painted with brown acrylic paint followed by a coat of the Honey Amber silk. 

My final bitty box was first painted with brown acrylic craft paint. I then applied Honey Amber and Coral Berry Silks and just a tiny bit of the Blue Flame Mica powder (mixed with water and gum arabic). Again, these were applied both with a paintbrush and with my finger. :) I also added a thin top coat of gold craft paint. The lid was decorated with an element from Spellbinders Parisian Accents that was painted brown and gold. It was also heavily coated with a glitter spray that was made with the Luminarte Mica in Solar Gold. Marti shows us how to do this in her video...just combine the mica, a bit of gum arabic and some water in a Mini Mister and spritz away! I love how multifunctional these Luminarte products are. :) The pearls were made with a Viva Decor Pearl Pen. And, um, yes...that is a strand of pet hair. lol Didn't notice that until uploading the picture. Sorry about that! (not sure who the culprit is...we have three cats and a dog, but I'm pretty sure that hair is from our husky. guess I need to brush of my projects a little better before photographing! lol)


Here's a shot from the side so you can see the different finishes:


Ok, that's it for me! Make sure to check in at the SCACD Store Blog where Danni has posted all the newest products. You can also find links to the DT members' blogs there so you can see what they've been creating. 

Oh, and you might want to stay tuned for some more exciting news at SCACD this week...just sayin'! ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope you have a wonderful Monday. 

Blessings, 

Melanie

4 comments:

Erin said...

Please, please do a tutorial on how you colour hair...it is so amazing. Love all of these, especially the one with Loli.

Lorraine said...

Wow, great & gorgeous creations, Lori! I feel like altering something now, lol. Your coloring is gorgeous as ever and I love the shimmer of the Luminarte!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous creations Melanie and such FAB boxes Hugs Elaine

Creations by Shirl said...

your cards and boxes are just all so beautiful... Great job Melanie!