Saturday, October 29, 2011

Batty and Catty in Black and White

Good morning and a very happy Saturday to everybody! Our Kraftin' Kimmie Challenge this week is brought to us by our lovely hostess, the lovely and talented Donna Wardle. She wants to see "Monochromatic" projects this week!

I still had a couple of stamps from this year's Halloween release that hadn't seen ink yet, and since the big day is on Monday I thought I'd best put them to use! The image on the front of my card is "Batty and Catty " by Annie Rodrigue.  I chose to go with a black and white monochromatic scheme to coordinate with these great papers from the Echo Park Apothecary Emporium collection. I kept the layout really simple and inked the paper edges with Black Soot Distress Ink. The "Happy Halloween" sentiment is from the "Halloween Sentiments" set, a fantastic collection of sentiments just perfect for finishing off all your spooky projects.


Batty and Catty were stamped on Neenah with Memento Ink and coloured with Copics. Can you spot the glaring error??!! I had these papers in mind when I started colouring the image, so I knew I wanted to go with a black and white monochromatic scheme. I reached for my C's and started merrily colouring up Batty and her feline friend. After colouring, I cut my images out and placed them on the design paper. That is when I realized that the greys in the papers had much more of a warm undertone than I remembered. Sigh. Why I continue to rely on this memory of mine is beyond me...it seems to fail me frequently these days! lol  I should have pulled the paper out first and then I would have known to use my W's instead. So in an attempt to try to make the image coordinate better with the paper,  I pulled out my W00 and went over Batty's face and some of the highlights to try to warm the tones up a bit. Well, it was marginally better, but not quite what I'd call "successful". I stuck her on anyways to serve as a reminder that I really should pull my papers out BEFORE colouring! lol


Copics: C00, C1, C3, C5, C7, 100, BV31, BV23, W00

I also included an uncoloured (gasp!! lol) stamped image on the inside of my card. This is "Kreepy Kitty" by Emilie Goulet. That great sentiment come with Kreepy Kitty...I thought it kind of tied in with "Catty" on the front of the card.



If you play along with our challenge this week, you could be the lucky winner of the stamp seen on Donna's beautiful card. Just make sure to use a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamp to be eligible for the prize. In need of some inspiration? Make sure to hop on over to the Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Blog to check out the gorgeous monochromatic creations by the very talented Krafty Girls!

***KRAFTIN' KIMMIE NEWS FLASHES***

  • Krafty Girl Guest Designer Contest: This closes on October 31, 2011, so if you haven't submitted yet then you'd best get crackin'!! For full details, you can read THIS POST.
  • October 2011 Release: The newest stamps were all availabe for purchase as of last week! You can get them at the KKS Online Store. For those of you who "want it all", you can still scoop up your Gimmie Kimmie Kits, but only for a limited time!
  • Retirement Sale on Select Stamps: Kimmie is retiring some of the "oldies but goodies" to make room for upcoming releases. These retiring stamps are on sale for amazing prices right now, so make sure to take a look in the "Deals Deals Deals" section of the store to scoop up these wonderful stamps before they're gone. (some have already sold out!!)
  • Frugal Friday Specials are up until Sunday night...this week some of the sentiment sets are on sale!! (sale stamps are on for 40-50% off!)
Thanks so much for your visit today. :)

Have a wonderful weekend my friends, and safe Trick or Treating for those of you going out Monday evening.

Blessings,

Melanie

Stamps: KKS "Batty and Catty", "Kreepy Kitty" (and coordinating sentiment), "Halloween Sentiments"
Ink: Memento, Copics
Paper: Neenah, Bazzill, Echo Park
Embellishments: machine stitching

3 comments:

MagsB said...

Oh my, this is stunning! What clever colouring on the gorgeous image, too! And I love the cat on the inside, so cute!

luv, Mags x

nurse cupcake said...

I love that the greys are contrasting cool and warm :) it turned out great melanie!

Tracey said...

Amazing card Melanie! I love it!