Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thinking Outside The "Square"

Time for another challenge at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps...and today it's my turn to play hostess! My challenge, should you choose to accept it (lol...sorry), is "Creative Cuts"...I would like to see you thinking outside of the typical "square" card format. If you're like me, it's so easy to fall back on the square-based card, but let's try something outside of our comfort zones this week! You could make any card with "fancy" folds or even a shaped card. (Lot's of your larger Nesties will lend themselves towards making some really fun shaped card bases!)

My card this week is a "side step card". I have done a couple of these cards before and I quite liked the result. You may have to do a little calculating to figure out which dimensions will best suit your images. The first time I saw one, I was a bit intimidated to try, but they really are not all that complicated...once you get past the little bit of initial measuring/math, lol! This card measures approximately 6x5.5. I'll show you a picture of the folds/cuts at the end of this post.

I have had this idea floating around in my head since Kimmie first showed us the mermaids from her summer stamp kit, and I thought this card would be perfect for it! This little scene features "Billy Blyth" and "Cordelia" (who is part of the Summer Stamp Kit)...what a pair!! There's Billy going about his pirate-y business...maybe looking for a safe place to bury his treasure chest...when he spies a gorgeous gal perched on a rock out in the water. Well "Blimey" (a sentiment you will find in Kimmie's Pirate Sentiments)...he's absolutely smitten! I stamped all my images on Neenah cardstock and coloured them with Copic markers.


Here's a side shot to show the folds on this side-step card. (and the foam squares under Cordelia's tail...that DON'T show from the front, lol)

Now, I borrowed a trick from Krafty Girl Michele and did not stamp the pupil of Billy's eye...I added it in after with a Copic multiliner so that he is looking right at Cordelia. The "sandy beach" he is standing on is just kraft cardstock...I crumpled it up to loosen the fibres and then separated the layers to expose the interior which was then touched up with some Distress Inks to accent the texture. Now, I wish I could take credit for this stroke of creative genius, but I'm a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due! I saw this technique while visiting the very talented Lorie at her blog "The Thinkin' Spot" (here's the LINK to her gorgeous project using this technique). LOL...guess I "borrowed" a lot of ideas for this card, but that's the beauty of the blogging world...you can be inspired by so many wonderfully talented artists who are willing to share their secrets and tips. Thanks so much ladies!




Cordelia's tail received a generous coat of Smooch Illuminate and some StarDust Stickles as did her hair adornments. I drew a rock for her to sit on, and then added some fun wave stickers.



The Krafty Girls have really rocked this challenge...every week I'm just amazed by the talent on this team! You will find pictures of all their "Creative Cuts" on the Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Blog...you can click on the links to go to their individual blogs for details on their projects. You are sure to be inspired to participate in our challenge after seeing their creative genius!

You can link your project up at the Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog...just make sure to use a KK stamp if you want to be in the running for this week's prize. What could you win?? Well, since I'm the hostess this week you will get to choose between "Billy Blythe" or "Cordelia" as your prize! We can't wait to see what you come up with!

Blessings,

Melanie

Stamps: Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: "Billy Blythe", "Pirate Sentiments", "Cordelia" and mermaid accessory stamps
Paper: Neenah, Bazzill, Kraft cardstock
Ink: Memento, Copic markers, Distress Inks (Tea Dye, Brushed Corduroy, Stormy Sky)
Embellishments: Jolee's wave sticker, Stardust Stickles, Smooch Illuminate

17 comments:

Renkata said...

Hi Melanie, your card is divine.
All details are prefect and OMG the colouring is so amaizing.

♥Rach♥ said...

Melanie this is stunning! Love your combo of stamps and the fun card layout. Your "sand" and those super cool waves are such beautiful touches, not to mention your superb coloring :0)

Laurie said...

Oh, my, this is simply too cute! The colors are so vibrant and the whole thing is wonderful. You did a fantastic job of showcasing this little pirate & mermaid!

Igagnon76 said...

i have to tell you that i've been following your blog for a while and usually read it through google reader so don't comment often but i wanted to tell you that i find your work absolutely AMAZING! your coloring is ....well there are no words for how good you are!
thanks for the inspiration!

Claireabelle said...

Wow Melanie!! Fabulous job
x

Shaela said...

stunning card - so many gorgeous details, I could stare at it for hours!! :)

Cassie_lu said...

this is jaw dropping amazing. love all the rich details in the coloring you used.

Tricia said...

Melanie, what a fabulous card-love it!!

FitterTwit said...

This is so great! And that beach really is a stroke of genius...thanx for the link.

Shazza said...

wow this is amazing
x

Cathy's Rubber Room said...

Hi Melanie
This an awesome card. How cute and as always the colouring is amazing!
Cathy x

BJ said...

Mel,
I can smell the smoke from your brain all the way down here in Ky. Where do you want the Excedrin sent? Because your brain has to hurt from cranking out all these stunning cards!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!!
Thank You for all the Fabulous work that you give us every day.

Tracey said...

Absolutely gorgeous Melanie!! love this!!

Vicki said...

Oh my gosh! This card is fabulous! I am here from Cropstop!

Mary Lou said...

I am SPEECHLESS!! AWESTRUCK!! Your talent bowls me over hun:))) AMAZING!!!
Blessings

Barb said...

This is amazing! Your coloring and little details are just stunning!

Lorie said...

Oh Melanie! Girl, you have gone and done it once again! This is just over the top out there, fantabulous!! Your coloring is mind blowing, and you brought each and every element together just beautifully!! Thanks for the shout out!! Big hugs and lots of happy stamping wishes!!

Love ya,
Lorie